You can manage your incoming mail using Gmail’s filters to send email to a label, archive, delete, star, or automatically forward your mail.
Create a filter
In the search box at the top, click Show search options .
Enter your search criteria. If you want to check that your search worked correctly, see what emails show up by clicking Search.
At the bottom of the search window, Click on the "Create a new filter" link. This will open the filter creation form
Specify the criteria for your filter by filling in the appropriate fields. You can set rules based on sender, recipient, subject, specific words, attachment presence, and more. - For example, to create a rule for emails from a specific sender, enter their email address in the "From" field. - You can add multiple criteria by clicking on the "Add" button.
Click on the "Create filter" button at the bottom right of the form
Now, you can choose the action you want to perform on the filtered emails:
- Apply a label: Select this option to automatically categorize the filtered emails under a specific label.
- Mark as important: This option allows you to prioritize important emails by marking them as important.
- Skip the Inbox: If you want to keep certain emails out of your primary inbox, select this option.
- Forward it: You can forward filtered emails to another email address.
- Delete it: Choose this option to automatically delete filtered emails.
- And more: Gmail provides additional options like archiving, categorizing, starring, marking as read, etc.
Once you have chosen the desired action, click on the "Create filter" button to save your rule.
Gmail will now apply the created filter to incoming emails based on the specified criteria, performing the chosen action on matching messages.
Remember, creating complex rules requires careful consideration of the criteria and actions to ensure that your emails are organized effectively.
Use a particular message to create a filter
Check the checkbox next to the email you want.
Click Filter messages like these.
Enter your filter criteria.
Click Create filter.
Edit or delete filters
At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
Click Filters and Blocked Addresses.
Find the filter you'd like to change.
Click Edit or Delete to remove the filter. If you’re editing the filter, click Continue when you’re done editing.